[R] different colors for two wireframe spheres

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Tue Mar 5 22:06:22 CET 2013

On Mar 5, 2013, at 3:28 AM, David Schellenberger Costa wrote:

> Dear List,
>
> I have the code below adapted from the lattice-package examples to draw two spheres. I would now like to give
> both different surface colors, e.g. one red and one blue.
>
> ## 3-D surface parametrized on a 2-D grid
>
> 			 n <- 10
>
> 			 tx <- matrix(seq(-pi, pi, length.out = 2*n), 2*n, n)
> 			 ty <- matrix(seq(-pi, pi, length.out = n) / 2, 2*n, n, byrow = T)
> 			 xx <- cos(tx) * cos(ty)
> 			 yy <- sin(tx) * cos(ty)
> 			 zz <- sin(ty)
> 			 zzz <- zz
>
> 			 bxx <- xx+5
> 			 byy <- yy+5
> 			 bzzz <- zzz+5
>
> 			 xx=rbind(xx,rep(NA,n),bxx)
> 			 yy=rbind(yy,rep(NA,n),byy)
> 			 zzz=rbind(zzz,rep(NA,n),bzzz)
> 			 gr<-rbind(matrix(1,n,2*n),rep(NA,n),matrix(2,n,2*n))
>
> 			 wireframe(zzz ~ xx + yy, groups=gr,col.groups=c("red","blue"))

You might try:

    wireframe(zzz ~ xx + yy, groups=gr, drape=TRUE )

Notice that in help(wireframe): Details you find a sentence:

"Note that this feature does not work with groups, subscripts, subset, etc. Conditioning variables are also not supported in this case."

 This sentence refers back to the paragraph beginning "For single panel plots, wireframe can also plot parametrized 3-D surfaces..."  that describes the method you are using to draw those spheres.