[R] Ports

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Fri Mar 8 12:59:51 CET 2013

On 08/03/2013 11:37, Thomas wrote:
> I realise this isn't exactly an R query, but does anyone know what ports
> I need to open in order to get the install package function working?
> It's blocked by our University firewall.

You mean install.packages() ?

It depends what you are connecting to.  Most CRAN mirrors are using
http:// and port 80.  If you can download the packages in a browser then
that is not the problem ....

> I have been asked for the following info and I don't know where to find
> it or how to get it. I guess my computer knows this info - it knows
> where it's trying to connect to - but I don't know how to get at it.
>
> Source IP addresses (I know this one)
> Destination IP addresses

That's your own machine.

> Protocols and ports
>
> Any advice/info appreciated.

The posting guide asked you for 'at a minimum' information: you did not
provide it.  If you are on Windows, see
http://cran.r-project.org/bin/windows/base/rw-FAQ.html#The-Internet-download-functions-fail_002e
.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk