[R] Editing figure without re-running the plotting code?

Bert Gunter gunter.berton at gene.com
Mon Mar 11 01:02:00 CET 2013

Jim:

Whoaaa...  this is only true for base graphics!

For grid graphics -- on which both lattice and ggplot are built --
there is a defined object structure for graphics complete with
extensive editing capabilities. See, e.g. ?grid.edit in the grid
package.

Both lattice and ggplot can and do take advantage of grid grobs -
graphical objects, e.g. via updating and layering. Whether this is
more or less convenient than editing graphics code is another issue,
but the answer to the query is certainly "yes."

I admit, however, that the modified displayed object must be redrawn
-- you do not work directly and interactively with the display. But
in many ways grid's programmatic editing and redisplay of modified
grobs is more flexible and powerful, I would say. In any case, the
editing capabilities  exist.

-- Bert