[R] problem with "gl1ce" function from "lasso2" package

Liviu Theodor Ene liviu.ene at umb.no
Mon Mar 11 12:29:06 CET 2013

Hello,

I encounter a problem when using the "gl1ce" function from "lasso2" package.

First, I tried something like:
etastart          <- log(mean(y))
fit.gl1ce.log   <- gl1ce(y~., data = xy, family = gaussian(log))
and nearly all the coefficients in "fit.gl1ce.log" were zero (except the intercept and one predictor out of 25), and no warnings were produced.

This is not what I expected, since the "glm" function with  "gaussian(log))" could fit a model using all the 25 predictors, and when using the " fit.l1ce" function:
fit.l1ce  <- l1ce(log(y)~., data = xy)
ca. 33% or the coefficients were set to zero, which is OK.

The problem with having too many zero-coefficients persists even when using the "gl1ce" with identity link:
fit.gl1ce.id  <- gl1ce(y ~ . , data = xy, family = gaussian())
fit.gl1ce.id  <- gl1ce(log(y) ~ . , data = xy, family = gaussian())

I wonder what should I do more for getting a reasonable model with the "gl1ce" function.

Thanks,

Liviu

Liviu Theodor Ene, PhD

Researcher - Forest Inventory