[R] does R read commands from scripts instantanously or seuqently during processing

Jannis bt_jannis at yahoo.de
Fri Mar 15 11:40:50 CET 2013

Dear all,

thanks, Rolf and Jeff, for your replies. The command below runs under
Suse Linux. I guess, hoewever, the phenomena I observed would heappen
under other oprating systems as well. The reason why I asked was that R
produced some error messages that did not really point me to the
direction of the edited script file. These errors were usually something
like:

Error: unexpected symbol in "cess finished."

The line in the script which caused this error is:

print(paste(as.character(Sys.time()), ': Process finished.', sep=''))

This line contains valid R code and would normally not produce an error.
Some testing showed that the error above only happens when I edit the
code of the script while the script is run. So R probably reads in a
script submitted that way seuqently directly while executing the
individual commands. No idea though what happens if i would start the
script via source inside R itself.

Thanks again for your suggestions
Jannis