[R] Cumulative Frequency Graph

Jim Lemon jim at bitwrit.com.au
Wed Mar 20 03:46:41 CET 2013

On 03/19/2013 11:34 PM, Shane Carey wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to create a Cumulative Frequency graph and I am using the
> following example:
> http://www.r-tutor.com/elementary-statistics/quantitative-data/cumulative-frequency-graph
>
> When I plot this data, how do I put in "real values" on the x-axis, rather
> than the values that
> are used for the breaks

Hi Shane,
The values in the plot you use as an example are "real" in the sense
that they are equal to the time values. If you want different intervals,
then it makes sense to add a separate axis. For example:

data(faithful)
duration = faithful$eruptions
breaks = seq(1.5, 5.5, by=0.5)
duration.cut = cut(duration, breaks, right=FALSE)
duration.freq = table(duration.cut)
cumfreq0 = c(0, cumsum(duration.freq))
plot(breaks,cumfreq0,
  main="Old Faithful Eruptions",
  xlab="Duration minutes",
  ylab="Cumulative eruptions",xaxt="n",type="b")
axis(1,at=2:5)

gives more or less the plot illustrated.

Jim