[R] Bootstrap (bootSem) causes R to crash

John Fox jfox at mcmaster.ca
Wed Mar 20 18:43:26 CET 2013

Dear pedtroabq,

I think that it's impossible to know from the information given why R
crashes when bootSem() is called a second time after it worked the first
time (which is how I interpret the message that you reference). I don't
think that bootSem() is doing anything unusual -- it simply refits the model
to bootstrap samples and uses try() to intercept model-fitting failures on
the bootstrap replications.

Also, although it's not relevant to the problem, it's odd not to store the
object returned by bootSem() in a variable, which is perhaps what the author
of the message means by (2).

bootSem() does use a Tk progress bar, and I suppose that it's possible that
Tcl/Tk for X-Windows or X-Windows itself isn't installed, and that's the
source of the error, but I read (1) as implying that the first call to
bootSem() worked. bootSem() only uses a Tk progress var if tcltk is loaded,
but I don't believe on the Mac that this insures that the tcltk package
actually works. If this is indeed the source of the problem, I should
probably avoid the Tk progress bar under Mac OS X because of the inadequate
support out of the box for the tcltk package on that platform.

Best,
 John

John Fox
Senator McMaster Professor of Social Statistics
Department of Sociology
McMaster University
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada