[R] Help on indicator variables

peter dalgaard pdalgd at gmail.com
Fri Mar 22 09:48:32 CET 2013

What Bill says, plus the fact that the default handling of logicals in modelling is to convert them to factors and then use treatment contrasts, which will effectively give you the right indicator variables automagically (This in contrast to SAS where you can confuse yourself by declaring a 0/1 variable as a CLASS variable):

> cond <- rep(c(TRUE, FALSE),4)
> y <- rnorm(8)
> lm(y~cond)

Call: