[R] Newey West HAC for pooled cross-section data

Achim Zeileis Achim.Zeileis at uibk.ac.at
Wed Mar 27 11:49:58 CET 2013

On Tue, 26 Mar 2013, SHISHIR MATHUR wrote:

> Thanks for the reply Achim. The reason I suspect autocorrelation is
> because I think that  within the same neighborhood, homes sold a few
> months back are likely to impact the price of homes sold subsequently.

This may well be spatial (auto)correlation rather than temporal
autocorrelation.

> In fact the DW test and Breusch-Pagan test come out to be significant.
> So even though the data is not time series (that is, I do not have
> repeated observations for the same house),   however, the houses sold
> close in time to each other are in the data set.

If there is a unique ordering of all observations by time, then you could
in principle apply an autocorrelation correction for the data, e.g., via
Newey-West.

But from what you describe above, it seems to be more important to capture
spatial effects in the data, e.g., by using a spatial lag model (see
lagsarlm in "spdep") or by using an additive spatial effect (see e.g. gam
in "mgcv").