[R] Odd graphic device behavior

peter dalgaard pdalgd at gmail.com
Wed Mar 27 18:43:10 CET 2013

On Mar 27, 2013, at 18:11 , David Winsemius wrote:

> On Mar 27, 2013, at 9:07 AM, Thomas Adams wrote:
>
>> John,
>>
>> Thanks for the suggestion, but no. I have even gone so far as to rebuild R
>> from source, re-booted my computer, and tried the 'experiment':
>>
>>    require(stats)
>>    plot(cars)
>>
>> immediately after starting R. Still the same result. I think it must be
>> related to some default Ubuntu Unity window manager default I can't sort
>> out.
>
> Have your deleted the default workspace and history files? When they get corrupted, odd things can happen.

...or try R --vanilla

The immediate suspicion is that something is tampering with your graphics device options, so

- figure out what device you are using (dev.list())
- if it is X11, have a look at X11.options()
- try running X11(width=7, height=7) to see if the automagic settings get it wrong.

- try system("xdpyinfo"); this may give a long list of gibberish, but look  for dimensions and resolution and see if they look sane. E.g., I get

screen #0:
  dimensions:    2560x1418 pixels (677x375 millimeters)
  resolution:    96x96 dots per inch