[R] Archieve of mails from R forum

Marc Schwartz marc_schwartz at me.com
Wed Mar 27 20:18:14 CET 2013

On Mar 27, 2013, at 1:58 PM, Katherine Gobin <katherine_gobin at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Dear R helpers,
>
> Everyday I do receive many many mails from R forum and after some period of times, INBOX is filled with numerous mails. At times if for some period of time, I haven't accessed mails, it becomes difficult to keep track of mails and many times simply due to the volume (and owing to the lack of time due to office constraints), I have to simply delete the mails without opening them and I understand this is a huge loss.
>
> If in case I wish to refer to all the old emails that have been appeared in the R forum, where do I get these? Is there any list where I will get subject-wise of thread-wise archive of old emails? I understand that will be an ocean of quality information and one can learn a lot from these old mails and I don't need to keep track of my emails all the time.
>

> Kindly guide.
>
> Regards
>
> Katherine

The official archives for R-Help are here:

  https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-help/

and these are mirrored in various locations, such as:

  http://www.mail-archive.com/r-help@stat.math.ethz.ch/
  http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.r.general

You can also search the archives for all R lists at:

  http://rseek.org/
  http://finzi.psych.upenn.edu/search.html
  http://tolstoy.newcastle.edu.au/R/

My recommendation would be to set up a mail filter or rule (using r-help at r-project.org in the the sender and cc: address fields) so that the list e-mails are automatically moved from your main inbox to a folder just for these e-mails and you can then browse them as your schedule permits, rather than having them interspersed with other e-mails in the same location. I do this with a number of the R related lists and have a folder for each one to keep them separated. Most e-mail clients and/or online services have some type of filtering or rule configuration available to do this.

Regards,

Marc Schwartz