[R] weird error with a lazyload .RData file in a package

peter dalgaard pdalgd at gmail.com
Fri Mar 29 18:13:34 CET 2013

On Mar 29, 2013, at 17:22 , Prof Brian Ripley wrote:

> On 29/03/2013 14:24, Michael Friendly wrote:
>> I added a new data file, NLSY.RData, to a package that uses LazyData: Yes
>> It passed R CRAN check and R CMD install worked w/o significant complaints.
>>
>> * installing to library 'C:/R/R-2.15.2/library'
>> * installing *source* package 'heplots' ...
>> ** R
>> ** data
>> **  moving datasets to lazyload DB
>> ** demo
>> ** inst
>> ** preparing package for lazy loading
>> Warning: package 'nnet' was built under R version 2.15.3
>> ** help
>>
>> Yet, when I try to use it, I get something incomprehensible:
>>
>> > library(heplots)
>> > str(NLSY)
>> Error in str(NLSY) : internal error -3 in R_decompress1
>> In addition: Warning message:
>> In str(NLSY) : restarting interrupted promise evaluation
>
> That usually means that the LazyData database has been corrupted (and most likely was not created properly).  As to why: we need the reproducible example the posting guide asked you to provide.

I had the same symptom a couple of days ago. It went away after quitting and restarting the R session. I kind of put it down to leaving an R session running while updating R (Yeah, I know: Still nothing reproducible...). The warning about nnet from 2.15.3 while installing to R-2.15.2/library suggests that something similar could be afoot in this case.

--
Peter Dalgaard, Professor,
Phone: (+45)38153501
Email: pd.mes at cbs.dk  Priv: PDalgd at gmail.com