[R] Tiff plot Resolution issues

Ranjan Maitra maitra.mbox.ignored at inbox.com
Thu May 2 02:53:45 CEST 2013

Actually, quite a few journals do ask for .tiff (or, often, also .eps)
only (as part of their webpage instructions) but my experience has been
that many take .pdf without a lot of fuss.

The OP could try and see if pdf will fly. If not, then (s)he can go
for TIFF images. If this is at the journal production stage, the
journal should help. (Of course, if on Linux and friends, (s)he could
also use ImageMagick to convert pdf/eps files to tiff. Something
similar for the proprietary OS's should also be possible.)

Best wishes,
Ranjan

On Wed, 1 May 2013 17:45:12 -0500 Robert Baer <rbaer at atsu.edu> wrote:

> On 5/1/2013 2:49 PM, Frank Harrell wrote:
> > Why do you need TIFF?  I've never seen a science journal that claims they
> > want TIFF figure submissions who are really serious about that.  This is a
> > very wasteful format.  Most journals want PDF.
> > Frank
> >
> There are likely many, but a quick Google is enough to suggest some of
> them.  Here are the a couple of examples from PLOS and Nature Neuroscience.
>
>  1.
>

>           PLOS ONE : accelerating the publication of peer-reviewed
>           science <http://www.plosone.org/static/figureGuidelines>
>
>     www.plosone.org/static/figure*Guidelines*?
>     <https://www.google.com/#>
>       *
>
>     For more detailed information on Legends, see/Author Guidelines/:
>     Figure Legends. Supporting*...*We only accept LaTeX generated
>     figures in/TIFF format/.
>  2.
>

>           How to submit : Nature Neuroscience
>           <http://www.nature.com/neuro/authors/submit/>
>
>     www.nature.com >Home <http://www.nature.com/neuro/>>For authors
>     <http://www.nature.com/neuro/authors/index.html>?
>     <https://www.google.com/#>
>       *
>
>     The entire/guide/for/authors/and referees is available in
>     PDF/format/.*.....*Dr. Smiths Figure 3 in/TIFF format/: Smith
>     Fig3./tif/) and then follow the/instructions/below:*...*
>  3.
>

>           /Author Guidelines/- PLOS Pathogens: A Peer-Reviewed Open
>           <http://www.plospathogens.org/static/guidelines;jsessionid=413CB006CB71EDFACEE5F25C49DBE12E>
>
>     www.plospathogens.org/static/*guidelines*;jsessionid...?
>     <https://www.google.com/#>
>       *
>
>     For the article to be accepted for publication, the/author/will need
>     to*...*We only accept LaTeX generated figures in/TIFF format/.
>  4.
>

>           /Author Guidelines/- PLOS Computational Biology: A
>           Peer-Reviewed*...* <http://www.ploscompbiol.org/static/guidelines>
>
>     www.ploscompbiol.org/static/*guidelines*?
>     <https://www.google.com/#>
>       *
>
>     For the article to be accepted for publication, the/author/will need
>     to*...*We only accept LaTeX generated figures in/TIFF format/.
>

> --
>
> Robert W. Baer, Ph.D.
> Professor of Physiology
> Kirksille College of Osteopathic Medicine
> A. T. Still University of Health Sciences
> Kirksville, MO 63501 USA
>

> 	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]

Important Notice: This mailbox is ignored: e-mails are set to be
deleted on receipt. For those needing to send personal or professional
e-mail, please use appropriate addresses.