[R] Lasso Regression error

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Sat May 4 18:22:35 CEST 2013

On May 4, 2013, at 6:09 AM, Preetam Pal wrote:

> Hi all,
> I have a data set containing variables LOSS, GDP, HPI and UE.
> (I have attached it in case it is required).
>
> Having renamed the variables as l,g,h and u, I wish to run a Lasso
> Regression with l as the dependent variable and all  the other 3 as the
> independent variables.
>
> data=read.table("data.txt", header=T)
> l=data$LOSS
> h=data$HPI
> u=data$UE
> g=data$GDP
>
> matrix=data.frame(l,g,h,u)
> lasso=lars(matrix,l)
>
> But R is throwing an error (shown below) at this:
>
> Error in rep(1, n) : invalid 'times' argument

I get a different error using package:lars version 1.1 but the problem is likely that same. You created an object named `matrix` which is not a matrix. You apparently expected `lars` to recognize your intent. It didn't.  (You also included your response variable in your set of predictors. `lars` will run this without error, but treats it like a tautology. ) Try offering the types of R objects that `lars` is documented to accept.

--

David Winsemius
Alameda, CA, USA