[R] Error in plot.window(...) : need finite 'xlim' values

Jim Lemon jim at bitwrit.com.au
Mon May 6 01:52:26 CEST 2013

On 05/05/2013 10:20 PM, shaqifahsani wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am very new to R. I am planning to plot a dendrogram from a binary file
> but received error after running it. I retrieved the code from the Internet
> and customized it accordingly...
>
> Error: Error in plot.window(...) : need finite 'xlim' values
>
> Can you explain why and what should I do... Thank you :)
>
> code:
>
> # load required libraries
> library(cluster) # clustering functions
> library(ape) # plotting
>
> # retrieve csv data
> treePhone<- read.csv("J:/research/source/treePhone_binary.csv")
>
> # combine into single data.frame
> df_treePhone<- data.frame(treePhone)
>
> d_treePhone<- daisy(df_treePhone)
>
> # perform divisive hierarcical clustering for dendrogram creation
> di_treePhone.diana<- diana(d_treePhone)
>
> # convert object into 'phylo' class for plotting
> p_treePhone.phylo<- as.phylo(as.hclust(di_treePhone.diana))
>
> # plot dendrogram representation, annotated with the same labels
> plot(p_treePhone.phylo)

Hi shaqifahsani,
This is almost certainly due to missing values in the final data
structure "p_treePhone.phylo" (which may have propagated from missing
values in the original data frame). I think that p_treePhone.phylo will
probably have "x" and "y" components. You can see the structure with:

str(p_treePhone.phylo)

If there is a "$x" component, look at it with:

p_treePhone$x

If there are any NA or NaN or Inf values, this is your problem. You may
be able to get around it with the "complete.cases" function.

Jim