[R] Distributing R byte code

Paul A. Steckler steck at stecksoft.com
Fri May 10 19:21:39 CEST 2013

Hi,

  I've used R just a little bit, and I couldn't find an answer to my
questions via Web search.

  I'm aware of Luke Tierney's byte code compiler for R, and the
compile package, and I have some questions about its use. I want to
take some R code, create byte code for it, and distribute it, rather
than the original R source.

  - Is there a way to generate bytecodes from the (shell) command
line, or do I need to start an R session? I'd like to automate
generating byte code.

  - Are the generated byte codes restricted to use for a particular
version of R?

  - I'd appreciate any advice about using loadcmp, like what
environment argument to use.

  Thanks for any help.

-- Paul