[R] NMDS using Vegan

Gavin Simpson gavin.simpson at ucl.ac.uk
Wed May 15 16:43:34 CEST 2013

On Wed, 2013-05-15 at 12:06 +0800, Suparna Mitra wrote:
> Hello R experts,
>   I am new to Vegan and use trying to follow the tutorial to perform NMDS
> for my data. But after performing the metaMDS, when I plotted my results
> the default plot shows MDS1 vs MDS2. Thought according to the
> tutorial Default ordination plot should display NMDS1vs NMDS2. Why is this
> difference? Accourding to tutorial it says: Function metaMDS
> is a wrapper to perform NMDS.
> Can anybody please help me to understand this?
> Thanks,
> Mitra

They are just labels and metaMDS **has** performed an NMDS. Not sure why
Jari labelled these as "MDSx". If this bothers you so, add your own
labels:

require("vegan")
data(dune)
sol <- metaMDS(dune)
plot(sol, xlab = "NMDS1", ylab = "NMDS2")

HTH

Gavin Simpson, PhD                          [t] +1 306 337 8863
Adjunct Professor, Department of Biology    [f] +1 306 337 2410
Institute of Environmental Change & Society [e] gavin.simpson at uregina.ca
523 Research and Innovation Centre          [tw] @ucfagls
University of Regina
Regina, SK S4S 0A2, Canada