[R] connect to local mySQL database

Martin Batholdy batholdy at googlemail.com
Thu May 16 23:22:12 CEST 2013

Hi,

I would like to access a local mysql database.

In python using the sqlite3 library it is quite straightforward. I just have to pass the path to the sqlite-file;
sqlite3.connect('.../xy.sqlite')

Is there something similar in R (or specifically in the RMySQL package)?

It seems like I have to use the MySQL function in the RMySQL package in order to ...
"initializes a MySQL client. It returns an driver object that allows you to connect to one or several MySQL servers."

But is that also possible with a local mySQL database?
Can't I just provide the information where to find the sqlite file and then open it?

sorry if this are stupid questions,
I am not very familiar with databases and just have to access a database on a shared network drive, which worked fine in python but seems to be not so straightforward in R.

I am grateful for any suggestions!