[R] glmer.nb: function not in downloaded lme4 package?

Ben Bolker bbolker at gmail.com
Sat May 18 14:41:57 CEST 2013

Ross Marriott <Ross.Marriott <at> fish.wa.gov.au> writes:

> Dear R Help,
>
> I would like to use the glmer.nb function for mixed modelling using
negative binomial distribution please.

> On the CRAN website apparently this function is
> called from the lme4 package (version 0.99999911-1).
>
> I have downloaded the latest version of the lme4 package
>  (version 0.999999-2) and have recently
> reinstalled the latest version of 64-bit R (version 3.0.1)
>  but after loading the package and calling:

  This question would probably be better on the
r-sig-mixed-models at r-project.org list.

   glmer.nb() is _only_ in development versions of lme4,
not in the stable version on CRAN, and furthermore it is
still quite new and poorly tested.  If you want to try it
out you are probably best of installing from github via
install_github in the devtools package.  Alternatively
you could try the glmmADMB package, on r-forge.

  Ben Bolker