[R] How to test if something doesn't exist

Doran, Harold HDoran at air.org
Wed May 22 21:13:44 CEST 2013

Joe

Testing is something _exists_ is different than testing if something has what you are referring to as a valid value. Here is one way to do what I think you are doing versus testing if something exists

validVal <- function(x, val){
	if (!is.numeric(x)) stop('Not a numeric variable')
	else x > val
	}

x <- 1
y <- 'foo'