[R] curiosity: next-gen x86 processors and FP32?

Sun May 26 10:01:55 CEST 2013

I am no HPC expert, but I have been computing for awhile.

There are already many CPU-specific optimizations built into most compilers used to compile the R source code. Anyone sincerely interested in getting work done today should get on with their work and hope that most of the power of new processors gets delivered the same way.

The reason single precision is so uncommon in many computing environments is that numerical errors propagate much faster with single precision. I don't expect the typical R user to want to perform detailed uncertainty analysis every time they set up a computation to decide whether it can be computed with sufficient accuracy using SP.

Most speed problems I have encountered have been related to memory (swapping, fragmentation) and algorithm inefficiency, not CPU speed.
                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing