[R] Execution of larger blocks of pasted code often fails?

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue May 28 14:29:12 CEST 2013

On 28/05/2013 10:44, Jim Lemon wrote:
> On 05/28/2013 04:54 PM, Mark Breman wrote:
>> Hello List,
>>
>> When i paste a large block of R code from an editor to the R command line
>> the execution of the code will often fail at some point because it is not
>> pasted as it was copied.
>
> Hi Mark,
> I have encountered this problem, and it may be due to the following:
>
> Command lines entered at the console are limited to about 4095 bytes
> (not characters).

It is not.  That is a limit on line length.

It is a limitation of cut-and-paste.  That has limits depending on

- the OS
- how it is done (e.g. X11, GNOME, OS X) ... most OSes have multiple
mechanisms, including Linux (which this was).
- where it is pasted from
- where it is pasted to.

We were told this was Linux: the most likely limitation is the terminal
into which this was pasted.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk