[R] lazy loading like object

Matteo Mattiuzzi matteo.mattiuzzi at boku.ac.at
Tue May 28 14:49:33 CEST 2013

Dear Prof Ripley, thanks for your answer,

>>> Prof Brian Ripley <ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk> 05/28/13 11:07 AM >>>
1) This is a topic for the R-devel list.

Ok so I will post it to that list (if save() does not properly work).

2) It sounds like something which should be done at installation, and
can easily be done via top-level code in your R files.

Ok

3) We have no idea what 'gdal-bin' is, nor how that can be a 'library'.
  But save()-d R objects are portable unless something like external
pointers are involved (when they cannot be saved properly).

Yes sorry. gdal-bin are command-line utilities (or at least the part I want to use from are command-line utilities), I mentioned it because I wanted to point the fact of having an external program (OS-specific and maybe already installed or not), not so because of the specific program itself. My choice of words was (and probably still is) not precise.

An idea could indeed be to simply save() the object (a matrix) created once during the configuration process of 'MODIS' and the external 'gdal-bin' (done by the user after the first time 'MODIS' is loaded), and after that the object is load()-ed on every need. That should be fairly fast as the object itself is very small and it is not needed to often.

Thanks
Matteo

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk