[R] Package unpacks (successfully and MD5 sums checked" but will not load "not a valid package"

Berend Hasselman bhh at xs4all.nl
Wed May 29 06:40:09 CEST 2013

On 28-05-2013, at 22:41, dbertin <dbertin at uoguelph.ca> wrote:

>> utils:::menuInstallLocal()
> package ‘surv2sample’ successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked
>> library(surv2sample)
> Error in library(surv2sample) :
>  ‘surv2sample’ is not a valid installed package
>
> Furthermore, if I go through "Packages->Load package" from the top bar
> surv2sample isn't in the list.  It is, however in the directory that the
> library() function uses and its contents look similar to the other, working
> packages.  One odd thing is that I had to download the package .zip and
> install locally since it doesn't show up in the GUI package list even with
> all repositories selected.  I can't imagine why it won't load given that
> everything else seems to work properly.
>
> Any ideas?

That package has been archived (http://cran.r-project.org/src/contrib/Archive/surv2sample/).
Only a source .tar.gz is available.

AFAICS it needs to be modified to work with R >= 3.0.0.
As it is now it can't be installed and doesn't pass R CMD check.
It needs to be fixed.
You could try to contact the original author.

Berend