[R] tree in tree package - Error: cannot allocate vector of size 2.0 Gb

Stephen Sefick sas0025 at auburn.edu
Fri May 31 23:38:35 CEST 2013

R version 3.0.0 (2013-04-03)
Platform: x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu (64-bit)

locale:
  [1] LC_CTYPE=en_US.utf8       LC_NUMERIC=C
  [3] LC_TIME=en_US.utf8        LC_COLLATE=en_US.utf8
  [5] LC_MONETARY=en_US.utf8    LC_MESSAGES=en_US.utf8
  [7] LC_PAPER=C                LC_NAME=C
  [9] LC_ADDRESS=C              LC_TELEPHONE=C
[11] LC_MEASUREMENT=en_US.utf8 LC_IDENTIFICATION=C

attached base packages:

6GB RAM, intel core2 quad, Scientific Linux 6.4

I am using tree in the tree package.  and I get the following error:

Error: cannot allocate vector of size 2.0 Gb

shouldn't I be able to allocate more memory than 2GB?  I am sure that I
am missing something.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.
kind regards,

--
Stephen Sefick
Auburn University
sas0025 at auburn.edu
http://www.auburn.edu/~sas0025

Let's not spend our time and resources thinking about things that are so
little or so large that all they really do for us is puff us up and make
us feel like gods.  We are mammals, and have not exhausted the annoying
little problems of being mammals.

                                 -K. Mullis

"A big computer, a complex algorithm and a long time does not equal
science."

                               -Robert Gentleman