[R] Error message glmer using R: “ 'what' must be a character string or a function”

EmmaB e.beard at ucl.ac.uk
Wed Nov 6 00:36:47 CET 2013

I am running a multi-level model. I use the following commands with
validatedRS6 as the outcome, random as the predictor and clustno as the
random effects variable.

new<-as.data.frame(read.delim("BABEX.dat", header=TRUE))
install.packages("lme4")
library(lme4)
model1<- glmer(validatedRS6 ~ random + (1|clustno), data=new,
family=binomial("logit"), nAGQ)

However, I get the following error

Error in do.call(new, c(list(Class = "glmResp", family = family),
ll[setdiff(names(ll), : 'what' must be a character string or a function

I have absolutely no idea what has gone wrong and have searched the
internet. I am sorry but I cannot provide the data as it is from an
intervention which has yet to be published.

Many thanks

Emma