[R] Basic question: why does a scatter plot of a variable against itself works like this?

William Dunlap wdunlap at tibco.com
Wed Nov 6 17:59:09 CET 2013

It probably happens because plot(formula) makes one call to terms(formula) to
analyze the formula.  terms() says there is one variable in the formula,
the response, so plot(x~x) is the same a plot(seq_along(x), x).
If you give it plot(~x) , terms() also says there is one variable, but
no response, so you get the same plot as plot(x, rep(1,length(x))).
This is also the reason that plot(y1+y2 ~ x1+x2) makes one plot of the sum of y1 and y2
for each term on the right side instead of 4 plots, plot(x1,y1), plot(x1,y2),plot(x2,y1),
and plot(x2,y2).

One could write a plot function that called terms separately on the left and
right sides of the formula.

Bill Dunlap
Spotfire, TIBCO Software
wdunlap tibco.com