[R] Questions about R

Marc Schwartz marc_schwartz at me.com
Wed Nov 6 19:02:26 CET 2013

On Nov 6, 2013, at 11:09 AM, Silvia Espinoza <silesmek at gmail.com> wrote:

> Good morning. I am interested in downloading R.  I would appreciate if you
> can help me with the following questions, please.
>
> 1.       Is R free, or I have to pay for support/maintenance, or it depends
> on the version? Is there a paid version?

Yes, it is free, although there are commercial versions of R available, if you decide that you do need/want commercial support.

Some additional info on commercial versions here:

  http://cran.r-project.org/doc/FAQ/R-FAQ.html#What-is-R_002dplus_003f

None of this has any effect on your ability to use R in a commercial setting, though there are some CRAN packages that do have such limitations:

  http://cran.r-project.org/doc/FAQ/R-FAQ.html#Can-I-use-R-for-commercial-purposes_003f

> 2.       How safe is it to work with data using R? Is there any risk that
> someone else can have access to the information?

That is outside of the scope of R and is dependent upon the security of the computer system(s) and possibly networks, upon and over which R is running and where your data is stored and managed.

Regards,

Marc Schwartz