[R] variable standardization in manova() call

Sergio Fonda sergio.fonda99 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 7 18:37:50 CET 2013

2013/11/6 Michael Friendly <friendly at yorku.ca>:
> On 11/4/2013 10:45 AM, Sergio Fonda wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>> I'm not able to get information about the following question:
>>
>> is the variables standardization a default option in manova() (stats
>> package)?
>> Or if you want to compare variables with different units or scales and
>> rather different variances, you have to previously standardize the
>> variables ?
>>

> If you mean the response variables, manova() does not require equal
> variances and does not standardize.
>

> --
> Michael Friendly     Email: friendly AT yorku DOT ca
> Professor, Psychology Dept. & Chair, Quantitative Methods
> York University      Voice: 416 736-2100 x66249 Fax: 416 736-5814
> 4700 Keele Street    Web:   http://www.datavis.ca
> Toronto, ONT  M3J 1P3 CANADA

Hi Michael,
thank you for your reply. However, your remark was not so clear to me
so I attach a short script I tried to launch. The comparison between
results got from MANOVA() call with the non-standardized and
standardized version of the same data frame, convinced me that it is
not necessary to standardize data before calling MANOVA. The only
difference you get is in the residuals values, of course.
Could you kindly confirm my conclusion?

All the best,
Sergio Fonda
______________________
set.seed(1234)
# non- standardized series
x1 =  rnorm(n=10, mean=50, sd=11)
x2 =  rnorm(n=10, mean=93, sd=23)
x1 =  rnorm(n=10, mean=217, sd=52)
fact= rep(1:2,20)
glob1=data.frame(cbind(x1,x2,x3,fact))
fitta1=manova(cbind(x1,x2,x3)~fact, data=glob1)
fitta1.wilks=summary(fitta1, test="Wilks")
summary.aov(fitta1)

#after standardization
x.stand=scale(glob1[,-4])
glob2=data.frame(x.stand,fact)
fitta2=manova(cbind(x1,x2,x3)~fact, data=glob2)
fitta2.wilks=summary(fitta2, test="Wilks")
summary.aov(fitta2)

--
Sergio Fonda
Associate Professor of Bioengineering