[R] all combinations with replacement not ordered

Bert Gunter gunter.berton at gene.com
Thu Nov 7 19:06:01 CET 2013

Well, you can create the expand.grid data frame programmatically via:

u <- 1:3
len <- length(u)
v <-do.call(expand.grid, split(rep(u,len),rep(seq_len(len),e=len)))

And then you can use unique.array to get the unique rows after the sort:

unique(t(apply(v,1,sort)))

However, I agree with your sentiments. Not only does this seem
inelegant, but it will not scale well.

I would imagine a recursive approach would be more efficient -- as
then only the sets you need would be produced and there'd be no
sorting, etc. -- but I have neither the time nor interest to work it
out.

... and I bet someone already has done this in some R package anyway.

Cheers,
Bert