[R] S4 vs S3. New Package

Simon Zehnder szehnder at uni-bonn.de
Sat Nov 9 17:30:45 CET 2013

This depends very often of on the developer and what he is comfortable with. I like S4 classes, as I come from C++ and S4 classes approximate C++ classes at least more than S3 classes do (Reference Classes would do so even more and I know very good R programmers liking these most).

1) I wrote a package for MCMC simulation with S4 classes carrying all simulated values - fast enough for me: in less than 1.5 secs I have my sample of 100.000 values together with several other 100T values like log-likelihoods, posterior hyper parameters, etc. I watch out for not copying too often an object but sometimes it is not avoidable.

2) That is not true:

Books:
http://www.amazon.de/Software-Data-Analysis-Programming-Statistics/dp/0387759352/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1384014486&sr=8-1&keywords=John+chambers+data
http://www.amazon.de/Programming-Data-Language-John-Chambers/dp/0387985034/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1384014486&sr=8-4&keywords=John+chambers+data

Online:
https://www.rmetrics.org/files/Meielisalp2009/Presentations/Chalabi1.pdf
https://www.stat.auckland.ac.nz/S-Workshop/Gentleman/S4Objects.pdf

And for a bunch of packages look into the Bioconductor packages.

Best

Simon