[R] S4; Setter function is not chaning slot value as expected

Martin Morgan mtmorgan at fhcrc.org
Sun Nov 10 15:33:25 CET 2013

On 11/10/2013 03:54 AM, daniel schnaider wrote:
> Thanks Martin. It worked well.
> Two new questions related to the same subject.
>
> 1) Why create this semantic of a final argument name specifically names value?

I do not know. It is a requirement of replacement methods in R in general, not
just S4 methods. See section 3.4.4 of RShowDoc("R-lang").

> 2) Regarding performance. When CustomerID(ac) <- "54321" runs, does it only
> change the slot from whatever it was to 54321, or it really create another
> object and change all the value of all slots, keeping technically all the other
> values equal and changing 54321?

Copying is tricky in R. It behaves as though a copy has been made of the entire
object. Whether a copy is actually made, or just marked as necessary on
subsequent modification, requires deep consideration of the code. This is the
way R works, not just the way S4 classes work.

If instead of a single account you modelled 'Accounts', i.e., all accounts, then
updating 1000 account id's would only make one copy, whereas if you model each
account separately this would require 1000 copies.

Martin