[R] Custom Numeric type in R

Bert Gunter gunter.berton at gene.com
Sun Nov 10 22:07:40 CET 2013

Charles:

That was my initial thought, too. But then I wondered whether what was
meant was to use "TBD" as an alternative kind of numeric value that
would be part of numeric vectors, lists, etc.  in the same way that NA
or Inf is. It is not clear to me that a new object class provides a
way to do this, at least not without a large amount of recreating
standard R objects and the operations on them to include a "TBD" type
numeric. My understanding is that NA and Inf are built into R's
internals as part of IEEE floating point standards. I do not know how
or if one can add new numeric types to these.

I would appreciate correction of any misunderstanding that I have and
further details as to how one would do this.

Best,
Bert