[R] Data Security when using R

MacQueen, Don macqueen1 at llnl.gov
Tue Nov 12 00:35:46 CET 2013

See below

--
Don MacQueen

Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory

On 11/11/13 2:01 PM, "seanstclair at verizon.net" <seanstclair at verizon.net>
wrote:

>   Hello.  At the company I work for, I recently requested having R
>loaded onto
>   my desktop and some of my colleagues.
>
>   My company's IT/Security groups are having trouble assessing whether R
>   software meets their standards.
>
>   Can anyone point me to a source where i can read about how R uses data?

I would start by downloading  "An Introduction to R" from CRAN and
searching on "save" and ".RData".

> does
>   it store the data somewhere?

Yes. In memory to start, and optionally to disk, normally somewhere in the
user's home directory or working directory.

>  Does data ever actually leave the company's
>   environment?

Not unless the user does something explicit to make it happen.

> etc...?

No less secure than, say, MS Excel, I would think.

Others with a deeper understanding than I may point out exceptions or
special cases worth knowing about ... I hope.