[R] On "^" returning a matrix when operated on a data.frame

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Thu Nov 14 01:17:23 CET 2013

On 13-11-13 6:52 PM, Arunkumar Srinivasan wrote:
> Duncan,
> Thank you. What I meant was that "^" is the only *arithmetic operator*
> to result in a matrix on operating in a data.frame. I understand it's
> quite old code. Also, your explanation makes sense, with the exception
> of "/" operator, I suppose (I could be wrong here).

You're right, "/", "%/%" and "%%" also return consistent types.  So my
explanation is wrong.  The NEWS entry for this change appears to be in
the 0.63 release,

     o	Ops.data.frame :  things like  d.fr < a	  now return a matrix

That doesn't give much of a hint for why "^" is handled differently than
"/".

Duncan Murdoch