[R] MM estimator

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Thu Nov 14 16:08:07 CET 2013

    SZ> Check the gmm package with a weighting matrix equal to
    SZ> the identity.  Best

    SZ> Simon

No.    "MM" is ambigous: The  gmm package is about
       "Generalized Method of Moments"

but Izhak is really asking about MM estimation in the field of
robust statistics, where an MM estimator is a special kind of
"M-Estimator" (and these, introduced by Peter Huber (1964), Annals,
	       fortunately are well known unambigously,
	       as a generalization of ML estimators (= MLE)),
namely an M-estimator with redescending psi (==> non-convex
problem ==> solution typically depends on starting value),
started with a high-breakdown point initial estimate.

Izhak mentioned  nlrob() from package robustbase, and he is
right that this does not provide an MM estimator, but only an M
estimate started by Least Squares.

Fortunately, we have had contributions to the robustbase
package from Eduardo Conceição since last summer.
He provided alternative versions of  nlrob(),
notably a  nlrob.MM()
currently *hidden* {and undocumented}.

I.e. you need

 install.packages("robustbase", repos="http://R-Forge.R-project.org")

 library(robustbase)

and then use  robustbase:::nlrob.MM(....)

The reason for all this is that I plan to have one nlrob()
function  but with  a new argument  'method'
and so eventually

    nlrob.MM(...., method="MM")

will correspond to current to the R-forge version

    robustbase:::nlrob.MM(....)

-------
Please for all more, use the dedicated mailing list
R-SIG-robust only (i.e. do *not* just reply-all to this
e-mail!).

Martin Maechler,
ETH Zurich