[R] quotation marks and scan

MacQueen, Don macqueen1 at llnl.gov
Mon Nov 18 17:38:15 CET 2013

I know you have a solution, but I would have suggested using print() with
quote=FALSE as a better way to illuminate what is going on, as in this
example:

> foo <- 'bah"bah'
> foo
[1] "bah\"bah"
> print(foo)
[1] "bah\"bah"
> print(foo, quote=FALSE)
[1] bah"bah

As others said, the backslash isn't really there. So you only have to get
rid of the " which you can do with
> gsub('"','',foo)
[1] "bahbah"

To summarize, in R, due to its rules for formatting printed output, what
you see isn't always exactly what you have, and this is an example.

--
Don MacQueen

Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
7000 East Ave., L-627