[R] overlaying 2D grid on randomly distributed points

Gonçalo Ferraz gferraz29 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 21 13:47:50 CET 2013

Hi, I have a cloud of randomly distributed points in 2-dimensional space and want to set up a grid, with a given grid-cell size, that minimizes the distance between my points and the grid nodes. Does anyone know of an R function or toolbox that somehow addresses this problem? This is a problem of optimizing the location of the grid, not a problem of deciding what should be the grid-cell size, because size is already given. Thank you.
Gonçalo