[R] Multivariate dispersion & distances

M Elo merja.t.elo at luukku.com
Thu Nov 28 13:09:37 CET 2013

Dear All,

I'm using betadisper {vegan} and I'm interested not only in the dispersion
within the group but also the distances between the groups. With betadisper
I get distances to group centroids but is it possible to get distances to
other groups centroids?

It might be possible to do it by hand by the formula given in the
description of the betadisper (below) but I'm a bit confused how to treat
the imaginary part there...

z[ij]^c = sqrt(Delta^2(u[ij]^+, c[i]^+) - Delta^2(u[ij]^-, c[i]^-))

I would highly appreciate all the help I can get!

-Merja