[R] Problem with makePSOCKcluster R3.0.1

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Oct 3 12:46:26 CEST 2013

On 03/10/2013 09:13, Anna Longari wrote:
> Hello,
> I am using function makePSOCKcluster to make parallel computation on 3 EC2
> Amazon machines.
> I have a passwordless between machines and ssh is correct.
> In the R 2.15.1 release this function works correctly.
> Installing R 3.0.1 on my EC2 machines makePSOCKcluster does not produce the
> cluster.
> If I run the function with outfile="" option, I obtain this message
>
> Error in socketConnection(master, port = port, blocking = TRUE, open =
> "a+b",  :
>    cannot open the connection
> Calls: <Anonymous> ... doTryCatch -> recvData -> makeSOCKmaster ->
> socketConnection
> In addition: Warning message:
> In socketConnection(master, port = port, blocking = TRUE, open = "a+b",  :
>    ip-10-158-31-12:11883 cannot be opened
> Execution halted
>
> Can you help me?

No.  The issue is in your configuration -- that sockets cannot be opened
is not an R issue.

Look at the NEWS file to see what has changed and hence how you might be
able to address it:

     • The port used by socket clusters is chosen randomly: this should
       help to avoid clashes observed when two users of a multi-user
       machine try to create a cluster at the same time.  To reproduce
       the previous behaviour set environment variable R_PARALLEL_PORT
       to 10187.