[R] update.packages fails on pdf write - CSAgent

Tim Howard tghoward at gw.dec.state.ny.us
Thu Oct 3 13:56:08 CEST 2013

For the archives, the solution I've come up with is to complete the install in a location where write permissions are allowed for exe files and then simply copy the extracted files from this folder to R's library folder, using the components of update.packages as follows:

#get a list of old packages
x <- old.packages()

#download the zips
download.packages(pkgs = x,  destdir = "C:/pathToLocationWhereWritesAreAllowed")

#install them in the safe folder
setwd("C:/pathToLocationWhereWritesAreAllowed")
y <- list.files(pattern = ".zip")
install.packages(pkgs = y, repos = NULL, lib = "C:/pathToLocationWhereWritesAreAllowed")

#now manually copy the folders to the R installation and overwrite the existing ones.

Tim