[R] Information Frequency problem calculation

David Carlson dcarlson at tamu.edu
Mon Oct 7 20:12:14 CEST 2013

If you want a symmetric table, try this:

> a<- read.table(text="Name1 Name2 category
+ mauro francesco E234
+ luca  giuseppe  E5578
+ luca  franco  E5569
+ maria luca E4556",sep="",header=TRUE,stringsAsFactors=FALSE)
> names <- sort(unique(c(a$Name1, a$Name2)))
> a$Name1 <- factor(a$Name1, names)
> a$Name2 <- factor(a$Name2, names)
> xtabs(~Name1+Name2, a)
           Name2
Name1       francesco franco giuseppe luca maria mauro
  francesco         0      0        0    0     0     0
  franco            0      0        0    0     0     0
  giuseppe          0      0        0    0     0     0
  luca              0      1        1    0     0     0
  maria             0      0        0    1     0     0
  mauro             1      0        0    0     0     0

-------------------------------------
David L Carlson
Associate Professor of Anthropology
Texas A&M University
College Station, TX 77840-4352

Not sure what your expected output would be:
a<- read.table(text="Name1 Name2 category
mauro francesco E234
luca  giuseppe  E5578
luca  franco  E5569
maria luca E4556",sep="",header=TRUE,stringsAsFactors=FALSE)
sapply(seq_len(nrow(a)),function(i) sum(a[,2] %in% a[i,1]))
#[1] 0 1 1 0

A.K.