[R] mixed model MANOVA? does it even exist?

peter dalgaard pdalgd at gmail.com
Wed Oct 9 11:32:18 CEST 2013

As a matter of principle, yes, multivariate mixed models do exist, look at the last bit of example(manova) (in reasonably recent versions of R).

In practice, it often doesn't really buy you much. It just gives a joint test for all the DVs, the estimates are the same as in separate analyses.

The tricky bit is usually to define precisely what the research question is: Do you want to know whether the predictors affect the marginal distributions of Y1, Y2,... or are you interested in conditional effects given other DVs (aka test for additional information)? The latter case leads to regression models where other DVs are entered as covariates.

There's no issue with having categorical variables as predictors in multiple regression in R, dummy variables are created internally. But if you are considering mixed models, presumably you have a random effect that needs to be included?

-pd