[R] R on Server without installation

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Tue Oct 15 14:45:54 CEST 2013

On 13-10-15 6:51 AM, Stefan Petersson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I use a regular web hosting service to build a web site under windows .NET.
> Now I need statistical functionality on the site, and I would really like
> to use R for that. However, I'm not allowed to install anything (e.g. R) on
> the host. Are there any implementations/workarounds of R that doesn't need
> to be installed, just 'copied' to the server host?

I suspect that your host will consider copying executables onto it to be
equivalent to installing them, so I'd recommend asking them to install
it for you.

The likely reason for the restriction is so that you can't create
security holes; you'll need to be careful to run R in a way that allows
you to ask it to do the things you want without allowing users to ask it
to do whatever they want.

Duncan Murdoch