[R] new dprep package for windows

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Wed Oct 16 20:00:46 CEST 2013

On Oct 16, 2013, at 8:17 AM, peter dalgaard wrote:

> Look at
>
> http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/dprep/index.html
>
> and follow the link. You'll find that
>
> (a) There is a newer version
> (b) CRAN no longer carries binaries for this package, presumably because it won't build and the maintainer isn't maintaining it.
>
> So, if you want it enough, you need to
>
> (1) Learn how to build from sources on your platform
> (2) Solve whatever issues prevented it from being built by CRAN
>
> Instructions for (1) are in the manuals. Help with (2) might be available from the R-devel list (though not until you have made a serious effort to master (1)).
>
> On Oct 16, 2013, at 16:07 , Babak Bastan wrote:
>
>> Hi experts,
>>
>> I need the new version of   dprep package for windows. What I have found is
>> version 1.
>>
>> if I am installing version 1 I get this error
>>
>> *Error: package Œdprep‚ was built before R 3.0.0: please re-install it*
>> *
>> *
>> Is ther a new version of this package? if not what should I do?

If you are intimidated by the requirement to learn to fix packages that have Cpp code in them (as this one does a single cpp routine) you could consider alternate routes to satisfaction. Do you need to have the entire package, or do you just need some of the R code that is not dependent on the compiled components of that package? If so, you can just unpack the tar.gz file and copy-paste or source() the needed code into your session.

You could also use a version of R (say r 2.13.x)  that doesn't require a NAMESPACE (since that is the reported failing when I attempted to compile it just now and someone on StackOverflow reported that it could be compiled frm source 2 years ago.) That's a decidedly inferior option. Adding a NAMESPACE isn't _that_ hard. 5000+ package atuhors seem to have mastered it.

>> 	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]

(You should also learn to post in plain text.)

--
David Winsemius
Alameda, CA, USA