[R] Multimodal multidimensional optimization

Bert Gunter gunter.berton at gene.com
Fri Oct 18 19:16:28 CEST 2013

1. This is not an R question. Post on a statistics or optimization list.

2. However, I would note that if what you mean by "multimodal"solution
is that there is more than one value that gives the "same" optimal
value (within numerical error?) then, probably no: An optimization
function by definition finds THE optimum (within numerical error)
value.

A standard approach is to use different starting values to seek
"better" (/"different") "optima."

If I have misunderstood, disregard. Also disregard if others with real
expertise (e.g. John Nash) respond.

Cheers,
Bert