[R] May I send a zip attachment to a post?

Carl Witthoft carl at witthoft.com
Tue Oct 22 13:32:58 CEST 2013

Barry Rowlingson wrote
> On Mon, Oct 21, 2013 at 10:51 PM, David Winsemius
> <

> dwinsemius@

> > wrote:
>>
>> On Oct 21, 2013, at 2:15 PM, Hurr wrote:
>>
>>> May I send a .zip file attached to a post?
>>
>> No.
>
>  That's not explicit from the posting guide:
>
> "No binary attachments except for PS, PDF, and some image and archive
> formats "
>
>  you have to click through to the General Instructions to see:
>
> "Furthermore, most binary e-mail attachments are not accepted, i.e.,
> they are removed from the posting completely. As an exception, we
> allow application/pdf, application/postscript, and image/png (and
> x-tar and gzip on R-devel)."
>
> Maybe the posting guide should be more explicit - not that anyone reads
> it...
>
> Barry

There's really no justification for attaching *any* file to a post.  Posts
should be clear and concise.  If there's really some value to providing an
image, a hyperlink should be provided.   I'd argue against any attempt to
work around the intent of the posting guide, regardless of the alleged
format of the attachment (remember, folks, if posting a "file.pdf" is
allowed, you could rename your "junk.zip" to "junk.pdf")