[R] labeling abscissa using a function of the plotted scale

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Fri Oct 25 01:14:08 CEST 2013

On Oct 24, 2013, at 3:56 PM, Hurr wrote:

> Thanks David, did I use incorrect english to call "e" a
> formula or function?

Incorrect R terminology. A function in R is a specific sort of object and a formula is a different sort of object.  R terminology for the use of "labels = 1/xvalue" inside the arguments to a function may be something along the lines of "assignment in a pairlist". I was rather loosely calling it an "expression".

> Seems to me an obvious first try would be to place the labels where
> they would have been placed without the formula.

And as I said in the context you have failed to include was that R does not "rememeber" or "store" the locations "where where they would have been placed without the formula." It doesn't have access to the arguments used in the prior plot call.

> I haven't yet, but I will study from your suggestions.

> --

David Winsemius
Alameda, CA, USA