[R] Use R to plot a directory tree

Michael Friendly friendly at yorku.ca
Fri Oct 25 15:04:24 CEST 2013

On 10/24/2013 9:13 AM, Thaler,Thorn,LAUSANNE,Applied Mathematics wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I was wondering whether (or better: how) I can use R to read recursively a directory to get all the sub-folders and files located in the root folder and put it into a tree like structure where the leaves are files and intermediate nodes are the directories? The idea is that I'd like to plot the structure of a certain root folder to be able to restructure the file system.
>
> Any ideas on that? I was googling a lot but apparently I did not use the right terms ("R tree folder" or "R tree directory" takes me mainly to pages about the "R-tree" a structure for spatial access methods [at least I learnt something new ;)])
>
> Any pointer to the right function is highly appreciated.

In addition, or instead of, suggestions for plotting a file structure as
a tree, you might consider a treemap (package of same name), which
was designed to show this more compactly, using nested rectangles
showing, e.g., file sizes or other attributes.

HTH

--
Michael Friendly     Email: friendly AT yorku DOT ca
Professor, Psychology Dept. & Chair, Quantitative Methods