[R] sh /bin/sh bad interpreter error when loading certain packages

COLLINL at pitt.edu COLLINL at pitt.edu
Tue Oct 29 18:24:34 CET 2013

> On Tue, 29 Oct 2013, Erin Hodgess wrote:
>
>> I'm on a Centos 5 Red Hat system and I'm trying to install such packages
>> as
>> Cairo, Rserve, etc.
>> However, I keep getting an error:  sh:/bin/sh bad interpreter.

Erin, just to add to what Rich wrote, this may be a disk related result as
well.  I get this error occasionally on my posix systems.  Assuming that
you are using install.packages I would check the disk permissions for the
files and for the disk they reside on.  If, for example, you are
installing them on a disk partition that does not have the executable flag
set in fstab you may get this error because the system is unwilling to run
code resident on those partitions.

    Collin.